Burnside Hockey Club is committed to encouraging our members to become qualified umpires. The club has initiated an Umpire Education Fund, where you will be reimbursed for the cost of attaining your Level 1, Level 2 and Australian Umpiring Accreditation. this pertains to the cost of registering, not travel, accommodation etc. Proof of your qualification and your bank details will need to be provided to firstname.lastname@example.org to
Who should become a Level 1 umpire?
The Level 1 umpire program is perfect for players, parents and umpires who are involved in umpiring club hockey, intra-state championships and lower age-level Australian Championships.
Minimum requirements to undertake Level 1 umpire qualification?
There are no minimum requirements. It is an enjoyable and convenient training program. The Level 1 training program is designed to train umpires in the fundamental concepts of umpiring, including fitness, positioning, signals and ensuring the safety and enjoyment of players.
How to get the qualification
There are five easy steps to gain your Level 1 Umpire accreditation.
1. Visit the HockeyEd site and log into your account. If you are new to HockeyEd, you can create an account by filling in a few of your details.
2. Once Logged-in, you can register for the Level 1 Umpire Accreditation ($50 payable through PayPal) by clicking on ‘umpire’, then ‘Level 1 umpire’. Here you can view the learning material which is categorised in four sections; manage self, manage athletes, manage others, manage environment.
3. Once you have read learning material, there is a short quiz with interactive hockey videos and questions for you to answer. This should take you between and 30 minutes to an hour.
4. Attend a 1 day practical course conducted by your State/Territory Association.
5. Finally, you download the Practical Competency Checklist and organise with your local HockeyEd Coordinator to have
Career next step
If you are interested in umpiring higher levels of club hockey,